Ward 2 Update, City Budget and RRL

Hi Friends, 

I wanted to give an update since I last blogged on some developments in Ward 2, including the City Budget that was just passed and the Residential Rental License debate that will be coming to Council on March 8th. 

Sandwich Street Sewer Relining and Road Reconstruction

Thanks to $12million in community benefits from the Gordie Howe Bridge and $8.6million from City Council, the sewer relining and road reconstruction of Sandwich Street has begun. This project will be from the roundabout to the new Gordie Howe Bridge and will include streetscaping, new bike lanes and many other features that will span over 3km in length. This is much needed and will be wonderful for local residents, businesses and those coming to and out of Sandwich Town. 

McKee Park Shoreline and Boat Dock

At our budget meeting, Council approved $150,000 for shoreline protection, in addition to $200,000 being provided by the Gordie Howe Bridge Community Benefits. In addition, the City recently fixed the boat dock and a consultation phase has already occurred regarding this park. Next steps include archeological studies and Indigenous consultations. Following that the City will be in a position to work on protecting the shoreline from further eroding and making some investments in the park to encourage its use. 

Fountain in Front of Post Office

It finally received a paint job! There will be a second coat this spring and it will be functional beginning this spring as well! 

Landscape Neglect Bylaw

Happy that Council supported my motion to expand our landscape neglect bylaw to capture more properties that are being neglected and causing overgrowth, not just on their properties, but in some cases on their neighbour's properties as well. We will see the effectiveness and enforceability of this new bylaw this upcoming spring and summer when landscaping grows and in some cases becomes neglected by absent or negligent property owners. 

For more on this, see link here: https://windsorstar.com/news/local-news/city-clamps-down-on-landscape-neglect-eyesore-yards-with-overgrown-hedges-shrubs?utm_term=Autofeed&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook&fbclid=IwAR1LFduS_Hr5Ll4uhVfG7ebNygDifYT_Nx0_uKd7cP-CYrb-ZmXHNZvzfGM#Echobox=1607399546

University Ave and Wyandotte Ave. CIPs

Council recently passed Community Improvement Plans (CIPs) for both University Ave W. and Wyandotte Ave. W. These CIPs will provide incentives for residential and commercial development along these two main streets, creating opportunities for better walkability, active transportation and density. 

For more on this, see link here: University and Wyandotte CIPs

Record Investment in Community Housing

City Council recently made a record investment in repairing and renewing our community housing stock. The City endorsed a $170million investment that will be shared by the federal government and the county. This is the highest investment in social and affordable housing from City Council in many decades and I am very proud of this decision of Council. 

For more on this, see link here: https://windsorstar.com/news/local-news/city-council-to-consider?utm_term=Autofeed&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook&fbclid=IwAR2g8ZtBVK2WuJcS34-L_Z_6q2-9I3EhIVN_jzKPLduFBICsmKytnSQe5iE#Echobox=1610686994

Bradley Park

Since being elected, I made it a mission to prioritize Bradley Park since it has not received any investments in a very long time. In 2020, Council approved over $500,000 in capital dollars for the park that will be allocated in 2025 and beyond, and starting this year, I will provide my ward funds for the park to implement an amenity in the near future following the public consultation phase which is currently underway. Bradley Park is located close to a lot of families in Sandwich Town and based on the recent investments in Bridgeview Park, McKee Park, Mic Mac Park, Riverfront, Curry Park, South Merritt Park and Malden Park, I figured it was appropriate and necessary that Bradley Park get some attention. 

Mary E. Bibb Park

Proud to say that the little parkette behind Mackenzie Hall will now be named after Mary E. Bibb, abolitionist, educator, and first female Black journalist in Canada. Thanks to the efforts of many residents and the Friends of the Court for making this a reality, and thanks to City Council for the support. 

For more about this, see here: Mary E. Bibb Park

Free Clothing!

I was graciously donated lightly used and new clothing and shoes for boys and girls. If you or someone you know could use some, feel free to get in touch and we will provide you what we have in a safe environment. We could also drop off items at your residence if that is easier. 

Free Wills!

Need a will? The Pro Bono Students Canada Windsor Chapter offers free wills to those who qualify. To learn more, please email pbsc@uwindsor.ca 

New Urban City Park Coming Soon!

I can't say much other than being thankful for Council's support for a new urban park that will be disclosed once certain legal matters are finalized. I am excited and I think this will be a wonderful investment for so many reasons!!

See link here for more: https://windsorstar.com/news/local-news/new-urban-multi-use-trail-poised-to-be-added-as-city-parkland?utm_term=Autofeed&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook&fbclid=IwAR3pctCultHVgwzCBPkF_hdCDA_4wA_YkBG0n4ZJxPOjz1wW5e6WI4rez6U#Echobox=1614201369

City Budget

After a marathon 12 hour meeting, Council passed the City Budget which saw a 0% tax increase and an additional $10million in new investments, services and projects. There is so much to say about this budget but I will cut it short and only say that Council approved a record investment in housing, transit, continued our asset management plan, provided funding for economic diversification, and many other things such as: 

  • Another stretch of Huron Church to be done this year. This will be from College to Girardot and then Girardot to Wyandotte will get done next year assuming the province provides matching dollars. 
  • Decorative lights installed at the riverfront from the Ambassador Burdge to Randolph as a phase one. This will be a multiple phase investment spanning along the riverfront. 
  • Mic Mac Park received a $100,000 investment
  • $150,000 investment in McKee Park
  • and more.... 
Residential Rental License

On Monday, March 8th, Council will debate yet again the prospect of introducing a residential rental license. I put this forward early in the term. There will be more to come on this during the week but for those who are interested, see the link to the agenda here and scroll to item 11.2: Residential Rental License

Ok this is enough blogging for now! As always, feel free to get in touch if you have any questions, concerns, ideas, or just want to chat. I am always available. 

Fabio


Comments

  1. I think we should have some kind of water in the park, like a splashpad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello everybody, I just want to give this great testimony to the whole public about a great man who helped me out of a serious illness. I have had HSV-1 AND HSV-2 VIRUS for good 2 years now and I was almost going to the end of my life due to the illness. All I have in my mind is, let me just give up because life is not interesting for me any longer and i also pray that God should accept my soul when ever I’m gone luckily for me, my kid sister run to me that she found a doctor in the INTERNET who can cure HSV-1 AND HSV-2 VIRUS. She helped me out with everything, the man asked for my details so he can prepare herbal medicine for me. After he was done consulting on my details he told me how my medicine will be prepare, after he was done preparing my medicine he sent me my medication and after using it for 7 days i later started noticing something different in my blood so I went for my HSV-1 AND HSV-2 VIRUS test and I was tested Negative, I’m so happy that I can say I’m not patient of HSV-1 AND HSV-2 anymore. If you have HSV-1 AND HSV-2 or any sickness,HIV/AID,HPV,CANCER,HEPATITIS B DIABETICS ALS,PENIS ENLARGEMENT please for your safety, contact DR.OLUTA VIA email address (dr.olutaspellcaster@gmail.com) or whats APP number +2349065326267

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Re-Election Campaign for City Council!

Huron Church Road Closure